Thursday 26 February 2015

Evaluation 7

Evaluation 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression of it to the full product?
 Looking at both covers together, there is quite a contrast. The cover on the left (my preliminary) is uninteresting in it's minimalistic style and so it seems unprofessional and unfinished. However, the cover on the right is far more full of life as it includes important features such as previews, other images and special offers.
My preliminary also seems a little washed out and almost appears as though the colours have faded which creates a less eye catching image. This is different in comparison to my final cover as this cover is more strongly coloured and so it stands out more. This again applies to the previews, etc. as I have used a more vibrant colour scheme for my final magazine and so everything stands out and is more capable of grabbing attention.
The Mastheads are also contrasting in comparison as my final one has a far more interesting choice in font and also stands out more due to the use of bright white. My preliminary Masthead is less eye catching as it almost seems to blend with the rest of the magazine and and has an uninteresting font so it doesn't really draw attention.
Another aspect which I have improved is the positioning of my models. In the first cover, I have used an uninteresting pose which doesn't really say anything about the model. On the other hand, in my final cover, I have posed my model differently so that the cover does not appear too straight forward.Due to having done this, I left myself with far more space around the model for previews, etc. and I think I used this space effectively.

 In my opinion, my contents page has also developed greatly. In the contents on the left (my preliminary), the page appears to be split in two and so it almost appears a little too top heavy. On the other hand, the contents on the right (my final), while still separated, fits together better due to small links such as the magazine name that brings it all together.
Due to the visually displeasing top heavy look of my preliminary, I made sure to structure and layout my final contents in a different way. I chose to put the contents on the left of my final page as we read left to right and so it is more visually pleasing this way.
My colour scheme also changed to something more vibrant as my preliminary isn't very eye catching due to it's muted colours whereas my final uses more attention grabbing colours such as white on black. Something I did keep the same however, was my use of titled sections in the contents as this made it easier to navigate. I developed this slightly by adding subtitles and a line about the article in my final as this made my contents appear more professional and gave readers a better idea of what's inside.
Another feature that has improved is the photography as my preliminary used dull, uninteresting photography that didn't really say anything about the magazine, whereas my final has images that are far more full of life due to the concert scenes which are relevant to my type of magazine. These images hold far more energy and colour, just like my final does overall when compared to my preliminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment